Saturday, December 18, 2010

What I'm Reading: eReader Style!

Last night, after I was done downloading and fiddling with my new iView 700EB, I gave it a test read as I lay in bed.

I turned out the lights to get the full effect of the backlit screen, and was able to get through the first 5 pages of Who I Was by Les Plesko. This is a 68 page unpublished novella from the author of Slow Lie Detector.

I do not recall much of what I read - I was beyond tired when I finally called it a night - so I will have to go back and skim it to refresh my memory. However, I was quite pleased with my ability to bookmark the page I stopped on. Of course, the iView made it easy - Once you are on the page you wish to save and retrieve later, you simple click on the menu button and choose "Save Mark". When you are ready to pick up where you left off, you click the menu button and choose "Load Mark". Easy Peasy!

At this point, my main gripe would be the clarity of the screen. The words are a teeny tiny bit smudgy looking, almost as if the screen was dirty, and needed a quick spritz of Windex (can you even use windex on an eReader screen???). Of course, that is not the issue. It's probably a combination of the back lighting, the font, and the resolution or pixelation of the screen images itself...(look at me trying to sound like I know what I am talking about!)

In any case, I was pretty happy with the test drive last night. Using an eReader is not as icky as I had originally thought it would be. It is nothing like reading an actual book - there was no whispering of pages being turned, no gentle caressing of the book cover.... *sigh* - the experience was quite different. But one I am willing to continue experiencing.

Test Drive: 3 out of 5 stars.

No comments:

Post a Comment